Penny for your Thoughts
A Grant to Fund Writing About Art
Penny for Your Thoughts is a funding opportunity for students interested in writing about arts and culture. It was created to encourage critical discussion on art, music, performance, and media. Whether you’re an emerging artist, historian, cultural worker, journalist, or writer, this grant is for you!
PFYT is open to all Concordia Undergraduate students and applications are considered on a rolling basis. Applicants propose an exhibition, performance, book, album, or cultural event that they want to write about and provide basic details on the format of their intended response. If accepted, the applicant can pursue their project with PFYT funding. We welcome proposals that focus on art/events happening outside the realm of school/music venues/galleries.
Writing can be in any language and can follow any style. Funding recipients can circulate their text or keep it to themselves.
PFYT is a new initiative of the Concordia Fine Arts Reading Room as part of our annual programming. Find out more about the Reading Room here.
- Recipients receive a $100 honorarium for writing.
- Ticket expenses for exhibitions/shows/conferences/events can be reimbursed up to $50 (for 1 person).
- Suggested word count is 1000 words.
- For the 2017-2018 school year, a maximum of 2 proposals per month will be accepted until funding runs out.
A Couple of Rules
- Applicants must be Concordia Undergraduate Students.
- Students qualify for one PFYT grant per academic year.
- The FARR will not fund students for writing that has already been completed.
- Students who have received FARR Residency or Publication Grant funding are not eligible for the PFYT grant.
- The FARR reserves the right to revoke funding should a proposal not be followed through.
How to Apply
- Fill out the proposal and send it to email@example.com
- Please give us 2 weeks to get back to you.
Questions or comments? firstname.lastname@example.org